Behind The Ear
A behind-the-ear (BTE) hearing aid hooks over the top of your ear and rests behind the ear. A tube connects the hearing aid to a custom earpiece called an ear mold that fits in your ear canal. This type is appropriate for people of all ages and those with almost any type of hearing loss.
A behind-the-ear hearing aid:
- Traditionally has been the largest type of hearing aid, though some newer mini designs are streamlined and barely visible
- Has directional microphones
- Is capable of more amplification than are other styles
- May pick up more wind noise than do other styles
- May be available with a rechargeable battery